Since Makinley was gone to Grammie Camp the week Morgan took swimming lessons, I decided to sign her up for an advanced swim class when she got back. I mentioned it to Donna and she wanted me to take Lauren and Hunter as well. So I decided to sign Morgan up for another round too, since she would not be good at sitting there watching the others! At the last minute, Maddie also decided that she was going to take lessons. I have learned that with Maddie, lots of things sound good in theory.....!
So this week was the first week. On Monday, everyone bounced into the car ready to go. Apparently Hunter was not as excited about this anymore, but I wouldn't have known. I got them all in their places in the pool and found a place to sit and sweat for an hour! Maddie teared up a few times but everyone else seemed happy. Afterwards, everyone, including Maddie, said that they loved and and couldn't wait to come the next day. YAY me I pulled it off!
Tuesday was about the same. Everyone was happy, Maddie still cried a little. Morgan and Hunter got a new teacher, a girl, which was just fine with Hunter! He likes him a pretty girl!
Then came Wednesday......On the way we turn up the music and sing Taylor Swift, Brittany, and the Cupid Shuffle, so everyone is fine! We get to the parking lot a little early so I turn around and give each group goals for the day: Lauren and Makinley-fingertips hit the water first, Morgan and Hunter-face in the water every time you swim, Maddie-no crying. She told me that she wasn't getting her face wet today and I assured her that was what you did a swimming lessons:) So I turned to get out and Maddie says, "Miss Leigh Ann can I have a baby wipe?" I turned to ask why and she had puked in her hand! I jumped out wiped her off and stood her in the parking lot. I asked her if she was nervous and she nodded and shook her head at the same time. I took this to mean yes! She puked again in the parking lot so I moved her to the grass while everyone else got out of the car on the other side! She puked about 3 more times and then looked at me with watery eyes and said, "I'm done". So we all went to the bathroom and regrouped. Everyone went to their groups, but Maddie cried almost the whole time. The funny thing is she does exactly what her teacher tells her to do, she just cries at the same time.
So...I go back home yesterday and tell Donna that she puked on me, and she tells me that is no surprise, Wendy did that when she was a kid at swimming lessons! Hello, could have used the heads up on that one before now!
So today my goal was to get Maddie out of the car QUICK before she got all worked up, just in case we had a repeat of yesterday. We got there, went to the bathroom, and sat our stuff down, and then she did it again! I held her over a trash can while the lifeguard asked if she was ok. I assured her it was an anxiety issue and she would be okay in a minute. And she was. She got in the pool and did her thing, with less crying:)
Lauren, Makinley, Hunter, and Morgan love swimming lessons and they are making such good progress! They are all smiles in the water:)
Since today was the last day of week 1, I took them all to McDonalds for Happy Meals and Ice Cream. So even though it has been an eventful week, we ended it right!
As for next week, Donna has swimming lesson duty on Monday so we'll see how that goes! Maddie better puke on her too dang it!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


2 comments:
You are a brave woman!!! I admire your determination!
I can't wait to see what the girls have learned in lessons! Y'all will have to come over soon!
Poor, poor Maddie! That's so sad that she got herself all worked up like that. :(
I am so impressed that you took all 5 kids to lessons all week. Wow!
Post a Comment