Monday, December 6, 2010

The Half

Well, Sunday I completed my first half marathon! Can't say that I ever imagined being able to say that prior to about 3 months ago! However, running has become an obsession, which seems crazy. As I have mentioned before, running has never been my thing, but I don't say that anymore. How can I when I get up at 5:00 in the morning 3-4 days per week and run in 30 degree temps??? Only crazy people do that!
So Kelli called me a few months ago and asked me if I was going to register for the White Rock Half. I hadn't planned on it, I was aiming for the Cowtown in February, however, my running program was going faster than I had intended so I impulsively signed up. I have spent many hours hitting the pavement in the last few months to prepare for this upcoming day. Anyone who knows me knows that I don't play to lose! On the same note, I don't run, not to finish! So in my mind there were certain things that I had to be sure of... 1. Finishing was the only option, 2. walking was NOT an option, 3. I had to be able to finish 2-2.5 hours.
I will admit the closer the race got , the more I doubted myself. Prior to race day 12 miles had been my longest run so I felt pretty confident that I could do it, but there were still factors that concerned me. When I do long runs we always stop to refuel. Even though it is only for a couple of minutes, it's still stopping. Also, there is the weather to consider. I run in cold all the time, and actually run better in cold, but you never know how the wind is going to be. So there were just "things" that made me a little anxious.
Sunday morning it was 36 degrees when Corey and I headed to Fair Park, and the wind chill was even lower. Amazingly, we were able to find Kelli, even in the 22,000 other runners! Here we are waiting....we were just a little FREEZING!






They let everyone go in waves. We were in wave "O" so we didn't even get to take off from the starting line until 40 minutes after the initial start! It was SO cold waiting and waiting! I am used to getting out of my car and taking off....not standing in the 30 degree temps for almost an hour!
The race was like nothing I have ever experienced! There were live bands playing throughout the entire course. There were also people standing on the "sidelines" everywhere who were holding up signs and cheering. Some were cheering for people they knew, others were cheering for all the runners, others were calling out our names as we passed by. It took a few times hearing my name for me to remember, it was printed on my bib! But what a cool thing for strangers to be standing outside in their front yard or their street cheering us on!
I would have to say that the first 8-9 miles weren't bad at all. I felt really good, even though miles 5-9 were all uphill. However, at about 10.5 I started hurting. My lower back and hips started aching, mostly from the change and pressure from going down hill. I had told myself the end would be the easiest because it was down hill, but that just wasn't the case.
On my running shoes, the shoelaces say "dig deep" and when I get frustrated or tired I have to remind myself of that, and in those last miles that is what I did! That, and I prayed. I knew that God was not going to let me fail. I knew that he would get me through, and he did!

Here I am about 1/10 of a mile from the finish. Corey was there, snapping pictures and cheering for me.
I finished in 2 hours and 5 minutes! That was well within my desired time! I was so excited and as I walked in the runner's building to get my "Finisher's" shirt and medal, I started to tear up. Then I realized there was no one around that I knew and I felt stupid so I made myself stop! I had worked so hard for this, it just all seemed surreal!

Kelli and I met back up after the race and compared notes. She did an amazing job too and I am very proud of her! We were both pretty sore and begged Corey to stop on the way home for some chocolate milk, but other than that we were good! (He did roll the window down on the way home because we smelled so bad!)













Corey took this picture to show that we walked away and didn't have to be carried!
I am so grateful for this experience! The Lord has blessed me with the ability and the physical strength to be able to accomplish something I never dreamed I would do. I am also blessed to have the BEST run partners I could ever ask for! Monica, Diggs, Bob, and Jeff are the ones who inspire me and push me to be "a Runner". I can't thank them enough for all they do for me each week. They keep me going, (because I can't stand the thought of them running without me!).
So, one Half down.....more to come:)

No comments: