I haven't blogged in so long! Part of that is because I haven't had a lot of time, the other part is, I have so much rattling around in my head, I can't always figure out how to organize it into anything meaningful! So this could be pretty random!
This weekend has provided me with several opportunities to think about my Papaw. He has been gone now for 5 years or so, but the longer he is gone, the more frequent he visits my memory. This weekend has been full of thoughts about him for 2 main reasons. First of all, my Papaw had to be the biggest Ranger's fan I knew. I think his world came to a complete hault when the Rangers took the field. His company had season tickets and he loved taking us grandkids to the games whenever he got the chance. I don't think he ever missed a game, even if they weren't on TV, he would sit in his recliner and listen to them on the radio, while watching a muted television.
As the Rangers made history on Friday night, all I could think of was my Papaw and how excited he would have been. He would have clapped his hands together and given out a big laugh and joy would have filled the room!
Papaw's life was defined by many things, one being his love of sports, but more importantly was his love for the Lord and the church. My Papaw was at the front door of our church every single Sunday of my life. He always had 2 packs of gum in his pocket(1 Juicy Fruit, 1 Big Red) so that as we entered we could collect our weekly piece. I would say that he was a well respected man who played a major role in the establishment of our church, from the beginning. He was, without a doubt, one of the Godliest men many have ever known. He was a great example of "slow to speak, quick to listen" and showed God's love to all kinds of people. Given all these attributes, it should be obvious that he was also a Deacon.
Being a Deacon is a big deal in the Baptist church. And given the example of my Papaw, you can see what kind of men they are and the kind of examples they represent. So this weekend Papaw was once again ever present in my mind as Corey gave his testimony to become a Deacon himself. I could not be prouder!
Corey often likes to stir things up. He likes conflict. He really likes conversations that make others a slight bit uncomfortable. He even plays the devil's advocate a lot of the time. But he does it all in good clean fun. He likes for people to think and know why they believe what they believe, and so he challenges them constantly. Corey is extremely grounded in his faith and his beliefs and for that I couldn't be more grateful! Corey has a true and pure love for the Lord and he uses it to lead our family. I am so thankful for a husband who puts Christ first in our house, who makes church a priority, and who rejoices with me as our girls draw closer to Christ each and every day. I have known for a long time how wonderful he is, but for the church to now acknowledge it by asking him to become a Deacon...wow!
Corey and I hold both Papaw, and all other Deacons in very high regards when it comes to Godly men. To think that Corey has been asked to be a part of what these men are, is very flattering.
So while there were lots of exciting things happening this weekend, my thoughts where continually directed back to Papaw. And even though it would have been easy to shed a tear, there was no need, cause I know that this would have been a GREAT weekend for him if he had been here...and all I can see is his face lit up with happiness and joy!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment