Remember a few weeks ago when the Lord blessed everything with a steady....downpour?!!! Well, on that blessed day the rain was coming down at an angle from the North right into our backdoor. When I came home I noticed that there was water on the wood floors. I called Corey, he said he would check it when he got home so I put towels down and I went shopping with Wendy. When I got home Corey and I inspected the floors and as we walked across them water bubbled up between the slats! We panicked! Corey started ripping the floor up, trying to get to it before it ruined the boards....too late. As he handed me boards, water was running off the back making puddles on the floor! He kept pulling boards until he hit dry land.....past the counters! There was now a 3 foot by 12 foot hole in my floor! What are the chances of finding that same floor 3 years later? How much would it cost to replace half the wood in the kitchen? I really didn't want to put down more wood if this could potentially happen again! So we decided to pull it up and stain the concrete! I work with a girl whose husband is in the construction business and he hooked me up with a stainer, but said we needed to get up all of the glue and
linoleum. No problem!
NOT! I spent my whole Spring Break with a paint scraper in my hand and an ugly word on my tongue! Turns out our floor had a layer of concrete "float" on it to level it out! We had to chip every bit of it off before it could be stained. Corey and I had to have put in at least 72 hours scraping and chipping. We would fall in the bed with our whole bodies aching!
Yesterday was finally staining day. Chris, the stainer, came in to examine the floor and was very impressed with our work! He said that because we did all that work we saved ourselves $500! (You would have to pay me WAY more than $500 to do that again!)
Anyway, here are some pictures of the floor. It is very unique and a one of a kind! We love it!



It has shades of brown, sage, aqua, and black in it. If you ask me it looks like a river bottom. It is so shiny that when you stand on the edge of the carpet, it looks like you are stepping into a shallow creek. I think it is very cool!
There are lots of colors to choose from so if any of you get brave, or have water invade your house:), I can hook you up with a great stainer!!!!!
Oh in addition to getting a new floor, we have also invested in a storm door that will hopefully aide in keeping the water out!
3 comments:
Oooh... cool! I know that y'all logged MANY hours scraping that floor. I'm sure you are glad to have that behind you - and a fun, new floor to look at. :)
These are good pictures, but it is even better in person. It is gorgeous!!!! Karen
I love your floors! They look really good! And the game on your refrigerator looks all too familiar..."Every letter makes a sound and "M" says "MMMM!" :)
Post a Comment