Today is the last day of Eddlemon's, "the store". Even though Johnny and Joe moved to the golf course a few years ago, "The store" has still been there, pretty much like they left it. Today however they signed closing papers and new owners took over. It is a very sad day! Everyone is dealing with it very well, however it is still pulling at some heart strings! Corey and I have always laughed about "the store" being like Cheers, you know, "where everyone knows your name". Since it closed there has been a piece of our life missing. Just like there was Norm, Cliff, Sam, Woody and all those other characters on Cheers, we had our own cast of characters that played a significant role in our weekly visits. When I think of the store I think of Raphael, Shimpaugh, Whetstone, Fran, and the late Seibert and Don Hasty. These people, along with so many others hold a special place in our hearts and will always mean so much to our family. We miss being with them and listening to their stories every week!
It will be interesting to see what the store becomes, but it will never be easy to walk through the doors and not see our precious Meemaw waiting to welcome us with a hug!
On a lighter note, we were at the store a few nights ago getting some last minute things. There were few things left from Meemaw's estate sale left in the room. Morgan calls out, "Mom look at these big CD's!" Obviously she was referring to records, but we all had a good laugh about that one!
What great memories and no one can ever take those away! The best part is we still have a hangout for the weekend, new characters to cast in our lives, and many more memories to make!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


4 comments:
Even though I wasn't a "regular" at the store, I will always think fondly of Meemaw standing at the cash register with a big 'ole smile on her face. I know that "the store" holds a special place in all of your hearts. What made it great, though, was the family on the inside - not the building on the outside. :)
Here's to many years of memories at "the new" Eddlemon's.
On March 31st, I know that Mee Maw had pleasure knowing that a new set of memories will be made in that building that has made our lives so rich. I am sad and happy at the same time. My memories of all the wonderful times and the people we have lost (but not in our hearts)!!! I still hold on to the love we share for family and friends. No one can take that away. I love you all, Johnny
I shared your blog with some family and friends. They sent an email comment back to me, and I want to share with you. Joni Ramsey (Aunt Sylvia's daughter) said: I didn't know you didn't have the store anymore. I still remember going in there all the time since it was just down from Aunt Thelma's and Uncle B's. I have many fond memories. Leigh Ann is such an angel. I love the blog and she is just so good at knowing just the right things to say. Our families have been blessed with great-in-laws! I would love for you to pass on to her I am always amazed at her talents! Tell everyone hello and stay in touch, you're family! Love jj
I agree with everything she says. Love you, Karen
My friend Pat wrote:
Leigh Ann is a writer!! Very, very nice. I am so glad you shared it with me too. I love her floor. Very unique. You & Johnny have been blessed with this loving family. And, to have thought so much of Eddlemons'..quite a tribute. Pat
Love you, Karen
Post a Comment