Well, maybe it's not a song, but it's still a story! Over a week ago I began having headaches. Not regular headaches, baseball to the back of the head, headaches. I was taking Advil constantly to get rid of them. By Wednesday, I had a fever, so I stayed home and went to the dr thinking it was the flu. My flu test was negative and my dr. said that my eyes seemed yellow so I needed to have some bloodwork done. Thursday my fever and my headache was still there even with prescription strength ibuprofen. Friday it was worse so I went back to the dr. He ordered more bloodwork and said he thought I had Hepetitus. This freaked me out. All I could think was they were going to report it on the news and make everyone aware that they were exposed! I was humiliated, but would have no answers until Monday when the bloodwork came back.
Saturday morning was okay, I had my fever under control however it didn't last long. Corey ran to get some lunch and I called him crying saying I was freezing, my head was pounding and my fever was back. He came home and decided we were going to the ER even though I fought him.
Their immediate thought was Meningitis. I knew there was only way to test for that and had heard nothing good about a Spinal Tap. And I can report, there is nothing good about a Spinal Tap! Luckily, I all my fluid was clear and that was marked off the list.
At this point the dr. was stumped and decided that I would stay at least 1 night for observation. I had chest x-rays at midnight that night and an MRI on Sunday. Everything was ok except my Spleen and Liver were enlarged. On Sunday I got moved to a "real" room and was told that I was a mystery and they didn't know when I would be leaving. You see during all this time, I had also been doing blood test after bloodtest. They had discovered that my red blood cells were really low so they weren't letting me go yet.
On Monday I had a CT of my chest and more bloodwork. I also got 2 new drs who enjoyed ordering bloodwork, a Infection Specialist and a Blood dr. They both mentioned Lupus possibly but still didn't have enough evidence. They did however conclude that I have some sort of Auto-Immune issue and my immune system is attacking itself in some way. I am also anemic and iron deficient.
Monday night while I had a room full of visitors, they came in to draw a blood panel, which was about 12 viles worth of blood. I had a great nurse and she had really taken care of me. She knew that I was getting tired of being stuck 3-4 times per day so she was waiting to get all the orders before anyone did any sticking. Well, the techs draw blood here and the tech that walked in the door shocked us all. She was very loud, flung out the list of blood tubes she needed, and said, "Boy it sure would suck if I missed you on this one!" I know I turned as white as my sheets. Luckily, she didn't have anything ready to go and she had to walk out to go get more stuff. I lost it! I had a breakdown and told my nurse that she was crazy and must not like me if "that" was what she was going to let draw my blood. She quickly changed the plan and found me a new blood-drawing friend:)
The tech was not happy and came in while the other lady was drawing my blood and announced that I would never know what it would be like to have blood drawn by the best. No one said anything and she left.
This morning, the dr. woke us at 7:00. He said my levels had stabilized, meaning they weren't getting better, but they had stopped falling. In addition, he had me and appointment to go see a Reumatologist(bones and blood) dr to check on the Lupus. He also said that I could probably go home today if I didn't have any fever and my headaches were under control. Good News since I haven't seen my kids since Friday morning! ( kids aren't allowed on this floor) The Reumatologist wasn't completely sure of the Lupus because I don't meet all of the criteria so, she is checking bloodwork but won't know until next week.
So this afternoon, the main dr. comes back and says, they have all talked and still don't have an answer about what type of Auto-Immune problem I have. He proceeds to tell me that I will not go home, I will have to have another CT with contrast, and a Bone Marrow extraction. Now, I know why people have bone marrow tests done....however he swears that there are lots of things that Bone Marrow test are for. The bone marrow is where the red and white blood cells are made as well as platelets. All 3 of these are low for me so there is something going on that is causing them not to be produced.
So, here I sit. Waiting. Thinking way to much. Praying as much as I can.
Today the crazy tech is back! However I was reminded today that God uses people we would never expect to remind us of Him. I heard someone walking down the hallway belting out "Blessed Assurance" and guess who it was...yep! Crazy tech girl! While I nearly hit the floor in shock, I needed to hear those words and they have been stuck in my head all day. I will be honest and say that while I have complete trust that God is in control, I am also realistic about God's plans. They aren't always pretty! I just have to trust that whatever the outcome of all these tests, He will also provide a plan so these drs can fix me.
Thank you to all of you who have called, emailed, texted, whatever! And please know that if you are learning of this for the first time, it was NOT our intention to leave anyone out of the loop! Our lives have been a complete whirlwind since Saturday when we thought we were going to get some antibiotics and go home.
Everyone keeps asking what can we do but really we just need a lot of prayers right now!
The good news is I got to see the girls tonight! They said it was okay for us to meet them in the lobby for some much needed hugs and love. A great boost for someone who needed it!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


11 comments:
I'm Praying for you guys! You have been on my mind non stop since tanna emailed all the beauties Monday! I know it can be hard to see god's hand in all of this, but don't lose faith! I wish I knew your girls better so that I could help out with them in some way, but I'm sure they're in good hands! Keep us updated and if any needs arise, I'd love to help! Know that you have a whole army praying for you... The power of prayer is incredible! Stay strong friend... You are an amazing woman who I look up to greatly!!!
Girl you are so strong! I pray thAt the doctors have wisdom as they continue to figure out what's wrong. We are all praying for you and we love you. ThNks for the update!
Leighann,
I will be praying for you. Tanna told me last night how sick you were so I prayed for you last night. I pray that God gives the doctors supernatural wisdom to find out what the root problem is. I also pray for a complete recovery for you!
Take Care,
Sharon
I know that this is frustrating on so many levels, Friend. Hang in there! You are being covered in prayers and lifted up to the One who created you. We all love you very much and want only the very best for you.
Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance. Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything. James 1:2-4
Leighann,
I am so sorry to hear of all that you are going through.Please know that you and your family are in my prayers.Keep the faith!
Tammy Hinojosa
Praying for you girl!
Leigh! I am so sorry I haven't called. I honestly was that person that felt so out of the loop. I heard you were in the hospital through an e-mail and people at work. It crushed me, knowing my cousin was in pain and sick and I had no idea. Just know that Doug and I are praying for you. We know that God's grace will bring you peace and comfort through these next couple of days full of waiting. Please do not hesitate to call, text or e-mail. We are here for you in any way you may need us. I LOVE YOU VERY MUCH!!!
I am so sorry to hear that you guys are going through this! I love you and am praying for you.
Leigh - Joe and I are thinking about you and praying for your recovery. Just wish we were there to help out in some way with the girls. Keep us posted on how you are doing.
Love you
Joe and Kim
I have been thinking about you a lot and I hope you are getting better. I am so sorry, I understand how frustrating it can be to not know what is wrong with you. I wish you the best of luck.
We are praying for you!!!
Jessica Nieves
Post a Comment