So we have a new surgeon since I got new insurance that started on Sept 1, convenient huh? While it is a hassle and a pain, we are really happy with the new surgeon and feel very taken care of.
Today she went over everything and ordered more tests. She wants MRI's, CT's and Bone Density tests done so that she knows what she is dealing with, full body. She doesn't think there is anything to be worried about, just wants to know everything she can before making any decisions.
There was also much talk about the amount of tissue that will possibly have to be removed. Based on what she sees in the films, there is possibly some calcium or pre-cancerous tissue that is surrounding the actual cancer. She wants to get a more detailed look at it before she operates. If there is in fact a much larger part to be removed, that would push us more into the mastectomy side of things than the lumpectomy side.
Also, when I had my mammogram originally, there was a place on the left side that the radiologist said I needed to follow up on in 6 months. Ummmm...no! I am doing this 1 time! The MRI will give more info about that spot, it can be biopsied if needed, and we will know if this needs to be a bilateral mastectomy or not.
LOTS.TO. THINK.ABOUT!
She spent a lot of time with us and went over everything explicitly. One thing that she shared with us though is the frustration of breast cancer. It isn't ever a clear path of events that follow a smooth sequence. The path is a step by step process that can only be determined after each step is taken. So while most of us are used to having a clear map of 1,2,3... this isn't that kind of journey.
So here is the plan for now:
This week: I have all of the tests run
Next week: I have a biopsy done if needed, I meet with plastic surgeons, I have pre-op
Week of Oct 13: Surgery week
Of course, all of this could change again I guess, but hopefully not.
Thanks again to everyone who is praying, sending cards, wearing bracelets, and sending emails and messages. We could not do this alone!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


1 comment:
Praying for you and your family
Post a Comment