Thursday, June 11, 2009

The last 24 hours...

At 7:00 last night I was at the church in a VBS meeting when Corey texted me to say we had to leave, "WEATHER!". We wrapped up pretty quick and went downstairs to find black skies and winds that were unreal. I jumped in my car and Corey and Makinley jumped in his. (Morgan is at Grammie's for the week) As we left the rain and winds increased in intensity! As we drove home I began to understand how people end up in water that is too high...they can't see! There was SO much water blowing across the rode and still falling that it was impossible to see more than about 5 feet in front. The windshield wipers could not begin to keep up! At a speed of 15, we eventually made it home. Thanks goodness!
That turned into the beginning of a very long night/day! At about 12:00am Corey was asleep and I was watching TV in bed. I started hearing more rumbles of thunder and saw some lightening. I decided to go get Makinley and bring her to our room, which I often do in thunderstorms. I just don't like them being upstairs with lightening....and for good reason! Once i got back to our room I told Corey it was raining again and I was going to get my laptop to see how bad the storms were. As I got half way across the bedroom, it happened! The room lit up and there was a loud high-pitched noise, which then led to squeals, screams, and sirens. The house alarm went off, there was a high-pitched squeal, there were humming sounds, and Makinley screamed like I have never heard her scream! We had been hit with lightening! The house began to smell like smoke, so Corey put me, Makinley and the 2 dogs in the car and told me to call 911. Makinley cried the whole time we were in the car. She was upset that Corey was still in the house, which I can't blame her for being upset about that, but what do ya do? The firemen came and checked out everything. All was okay except that we needed to have an electrician out. Once the fire crews left we began making a list of things that were toast! Surround sound, washing machine, possibly the dryer, 4 TV's, 4 DVD players, the garage door opener, and the upstairs air conditioner, just to name a few. We ended up back in bed at 3:00 and then storm number 3 moved through! All of a sudden I heard water:/ So Corey and I got up again to see what the problem was. There was a puddle of water on the kitchen floor that had come through an ac vent. By 3:45, Corey's employees stared calling about the power being out at the shop. So needless to say we got about 3 hours of sleep until storm 4 moved in at 8:00. Luckily we had no tragedies during that storm!
Today the electrician came, we have calls in to 3 roofers, the ATT uverse guy just left(even though most of the TV's don't work), the phones will be fixed on Sat., and the insurance adjuster will be here in 3-5 days!
But wait, the saga continues! While cooking dinner Ranger was barking uncontrollably and Corey walked in the dining room to see some teenage boys outside throwing things at each other. Whatever they threw, hit our dining room window and busted it! It is still in tact, but it has a nice large web on it. So he ran in the yard and caught one boy who was willing to throw the others under the bus! Corey called the police out for a second time today, and got their mother down here to pay for the window.
We are so glad that our house is okay and more importantly, we are okay! This could have been so much worse! I am SO glad that I got Makinley downstairs before all of this happened! I am also glad that Morgan was not here!
Tonight we are praying for peaceful skies, an uneventful evening, and for a compassionate insurance adjuster!

3 comments:

Momma Jean said...

Bless you and your family! I will keep you in my heart. Let me know if there is anything I can do!

Sarah said...

Oh man - what a rough day! I'm sooo glad that y'all are all okay, though. Things can be replaced, but people sure can't!

We'll definitely be praying for the storms to subside and for the adjuster to take pity on your poor souls. :)

Pat C. said...

Molly is so cute!! I bet the girls just love her!! Hope Ranger is adjusting! It was a blessing that none of you were hurt the other night. Let me know what I can do for you. Tell Mackinley that I miss her and I send my love.