I love doing runs that are close to home and I don't have to use the navigation system to locate! So when I saw this one in the Highlands shopping center I jumped on it! Not only was there a 5K, but there was also a kids 50 yard dash for the girls. They were pumped!
Wendy has been talking about running with me for several months now, but hasn't been sure if she was really ready. I convinced her to bite the bullet and get the first one behind her.
Karen went with us so that she could stay with the girls while I ran. When we went to pick her up, Morgan asked why we were going to Meme's, she asked if she was going to run. I said "yeah, she is." Morgan's face was full of thought and respond with "Hm, I didn't know Meme was a runner". Makinley laughed at Morgan and assured her Meme was going so they could stay with her while I ran. Even Meme got a good laugh at that!
The girls run was first and it was very fast! There weren't that many kids but they were all in a huge cluster so the pictures didn't come out very good. They did a great job, but I think they would have liked to run a longer race. Hopefully I will have 2 more runner partners soon!
Once we got the girl's run complete, it was time for Wendy and I to get our run on! There is just something about running. I don't know what it is exactly. I never thought in a million years that I would enjoy running! Especially long distances. I was a basketball player, we did short sprints. But when I run I feel in control. And it's a competition with myself to get better every time I race. However, since it was Wendy's first run, I promised her I would not leave her, so I wasn't worried about time. I just ran...and it was so relaxing! I think that Wendy surprised herself. I think it was a lot easier than she had anticipated! And to top it off, her time was great! We finished in 33 minutes! For a first race that was awesome! My first run I finished closer to 40 minutes! I was SO proud of her! She has worked so hard over the last year to improve her health and get in shape and she has made amazing progress! I just can't say enough how exciting it is to see someone else feel the accomplishment that I know comes with running 5k's! So proud of you Wendy!!!
What a great day....great run, great company, great weather, what more can you ask for?!


No comments:
Post a Comment