Monday, January 18, 2010

January's 5K

Today was a holiday from school so it seemed like a good day for a run! Makinley and I, and AMy and Georgia decided to do the MLK run at River Legacy this morning. Even though it was a MLK race, the proceeds went to 2 elementary schools in Arlington for supplies, gotta love that!
Makinley and Georgia have been SO pumped about running again and couldn't wait for the race to begin. We got there early so we could get registered, and while we were waiting, Makinley's PE coach from school walked up with his dog Zena. Makinley knew that he might be there but was excited for him to see her there I think.

It was sunny for a while but a lot more chilly than we expected. I guess being close to the river made it cooler?!? We took off and Makinley stayed with me for about a quarter of a mile then she fell back a ways. I am good as long as I can turn around and see her. I kept on running determined to run the whole thing this time, and get a better time than my run in December. About half way through I knew that Makinley was with Amy and Georgia, but started to think "What if something happened to her? What if she fell?" So I stopped and ran in place for about 4 minutes and finally she caught up with me. She complained that my pace was too fast and she went back with the others. At that point, I was just going to keep going.

I will say that I improved my time by almost 10 minutes! (It would have been more if I hadn't stopped and ran in place) I was very happy! Even though my time is still not great, at least it got WAY better and I never stopped running.

Once Makinley's coach finished, he went back and caught up with Makinley and ran with her. She did well with him, coaches are always a better motivator than moms! When I finished I went back and ran with them too. So Makinley and I crossed the finish line together (me for the second time).

We decided to stick around for the results. They were doing door prizes and had water and snacks so we figured why not?! Well, Makinley won and door prize and got a finishing metal! Good thing we stayed! She got 3rd in the 7-8 year old girls division! She was so excited and shocked I think. She was so proud of her metal and wore it ALL day.
So tomorrow she gets to take her metal to school and show her coach, She cant' wait!
Next race....Cowtown Baby!














Two Beauties sportin the pink shirt!

2 comments:

Sarah said...

Good job girls!

Mak looks so proud with her medal on. I love that big smile! What a cutie! ;)

Jessica Nieves said...

That is fabulous for BOTH of you!!!!! Congrats on your metal, Makinley!!!